Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Nothing Gold Can Stay


A couple of Sundays ago on our way home from an Eagle Court of Honor that we attended we decided to take an impromptu walk across campus. It was a perfect spring evening--the trees were newly green and the azaleas were blooming in all their glory.  It was warm and a gentle breeze was blowing.

My kids loved running around in the fresh air but I did manage to get them to hold still long enough to snap some pictures.
 


They're growing up so fast.
I'm glad that we took advantage of the opportunity. It seems like spring is already pretty much over here now. It was in the mid-80s today. In April. It is supposed to be warmer tomorrow. It is going to be a hot, hot summer.

Today's poem: "Nothing Gold Can Stay" by Robert Frost. (It seemed appropriate.)

Nature's first green is gold
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.

4 comments:

Samuel James Dunn, Esq. said...

that picture of Samford hall is gorgeous. also, I'm jealous of your weather. I know the grass is always greener elsewhere, in this case quite literally, but I love overbearing, oppressive heat. I think it's lovely.

adelariel * said...

I love that poem. My sixth grade teacher had us memorize it and it has been ages since I've thought about it. And, your boys are beautiful. I can hardly believe we're old enough to have such lovely children.

Predilections said...

I remember memorizing it in 7th grade when we read "The Outsiders" but just because I wanted to. I am a nerd that way. :) Thanks for the kind words about my boys.

Predilections said...

Thanks Sammy. If you love overbearing oppressive heat you should come visit in late July or August some time. When we first moved here people told us you need to cart an oxygen tank around with you in the summer. in order to breathe. They weren't that far off. ;)