Monday, December 31, 2012

Christmas Vignettes




 I have to tell you, I'm kind of in love with making pom-poms. They are so much fun. I made a bunch for an autumn garland at my girl's weekend retreat (mentioned in the previous post) and they were so much fun I made a bunch more for my outdoor Christmas tree. . .

and for another garland to hang in the house. It was something fun to do to keep hands busy while I watched Christmas movies with my boys.


 I already talked about my yarn and felt wreath here, but here are some other shots of my mantle and little vignettes around the house.

Yes, Diana/Artemis is wearing a Santa hat. I can almost hear her  singing "Santa Baby".

I had been pining over little light-up cardboard houses ever since Martha Stewart made an over-achieving, but oh-so-delightful village of them that I saw in Martha Stewart Living a few years ago.

Imagine my delight when I found these two little cuties at Target for $5 a piece. I had to have them and for the first time in my entire life I also had to have fake snow for my mantle. It seemed like a necessity for the little houses to feel, well--at home.  Also a Christmas tree shaped candle seemed like a good idea.

As did trees and a deer in mason jars. Mason jars are always a good idea.


 We picked out our fresh tree on Stretch's birthday at the end of November. It's a pretty homey tree, decked out in homemade ornaments from all of our elementary school years and ornaments from my and my husband's childhoods. We like to keep candy canes on it so we have something to give neighbor kids and friends who visit us during the holidays.

 Speaking of tree--here are a couple I made. I made the one on the left last year and the one on the right this year out of a smashed up styrofoam craft cone that's been floating around my house for a year. Oh, and out of yarn and vintage buttons, a spool and a Monopoly thimble too.

And finally, da bears. My mom sewed these years ago and they are kind of like our less labor-intensive version of elf-on-the-shelf. They like to see what kind of mischief they can find around the house but mostly just hang out in the china cabinet/library hutch.

Some of my very favorite Christmas decorations are the two gorgeous nativities that I have (not pictured) and my basket of Christmas books on the hearth.

What does Christmas look like at your house?



No comments: