Monday, September 10, 2012

Kinda Like IKEA's Swedish Meatballs

Ever get a hankering for IKEA meatballs but don't really have the time to drive the 100+ miles to the nearest IKEA for a $3.99 plate of Swedish deliciousness? This afternoon for some reason the mood struck me. I think maybe it was the temperatures in the 60s this morning that allowed me to pretend like autumn might actually be on the way here--cooler temperatures justify warm and savory comfort food for dinner, right?

These aren't exactly like the famous balls of meat, but they are a reasonable facsimile. I think I would cut down on the flour next time though (I used the amount which the original recipe* called for and the sauce was a bit thick for my taste). Really though, if we had had mashed potatoes and lingonberries, I think I could have fooled the whole family.

I am also lazy--sometimes. So I used frozen meatballs from Sam's Club. They are nice to have on hand for quick fix dinners. I just baked them according to the package directions and then dumped them in the finished sauce and served it all up over egg noodles.

Swedish Meatball Sauce:
1 cup beef stock or 1 cup hot water plus 1 teaspoon beef base
1 cup heavy cream, light cream or half and half
1-2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
1/2 teaspoon Kitchen Bouquet (optional)
salt and extra pepper to taste
1/2 (20 ounce) package frozen cooked meatballs, thawed

Whisk beef stock, cream, flour, soy sauce, pepper and rosemary together. Heat over medium low heat stirring frequently until the sauce comes to a boil. Boil and stir for three minutes until thickened. Add the hot cooked meatballs and stir to coat. Serve over noodles, rice or mashed potatoes.

The measurements are for a single recipe. I actually tripled this recipe to feed my always hungry brood of four growing boys and my metabolically gifted husband, but there is a little left over. Doubling it would have been enough, but this way I get to see if the recipe freezes well. ;) I'll let you know.

*Modified from the recipe found HERE.

 

2 comments:

Danielle said...

These look yummy! I know you used frozen meatballs, but for me, it's the allspice that really makes a Swedish meatball (at least the ones I ate growing up) -- I usually use this recipe:

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/05/swedish-meatballs.html

We've had cooler weather the past couple of days and I have been cooking and baking up a storm -- definitely not ready for the mid-80's that are predicted for the rest of the week! :/

Predilections said...

Good to know. The first time I ever had Swedish meatballs was at IKEA. They are just not something my mom ever took the time to make growing up. I'll have to try the non-lazy version (complete with allspice) one of these days. ;)