Sunday, September 2, 2012

Happy New (School) Year

The beginning of a new school year always feels like The New Year for me. I'm full of fresh plans and desires to improve. I look at it as an opportunity to reevaluate and make changes. I feel excited for what lies ahead. Of course I'll probably be starting all over again come January, but I'm feeling motivated and happy right now, so let's just go with that.

After an insightful and amazing talk with my sister recently (centering around THIS blog post that I came across on one of my favorite blogs), I made a list of affirmations to repeat to myself every day--you know, the power of positive thinking and all that.

I'm currently working on two of them:
--I am fit
--I am organized and clutter free

Friday I checked out a couple of books from the library to help me with my quest (I'll review them when I do my September Reads).

I'm feeling like I'm getting stuff done. I'm taking baby steps and it is going to be slow going but at least I feel like I am making forward progress.



All four boys are in school but I can't honestly say that I feel like I have a lot of extra time at this point. The new schedule has me physically exhausted and the laundry is piling up like usual but I feel optimistic that I'm moving in the right direction.

For example: I can't wait to get my new running shoes that I ordered HERE (at the recommendation of my husband's cousin). And Saturday, after spending a good chunk of the day cleaning out things and making donate piles for the thrift store, I treated myself to a gallon of paint for the big boys' room. Nothing fancy--just white, but I'm feeling like that white paint is going to give that room a new lease on life. I've got lots of ideas and big plans floating around in my head. It should be fun to spruce it up a bit.
Okra flower--so pretty.

Autumn isn't even a tiny dot on the horizon for us. No signs of it yet. We are expecting temperatures in the 90s this coming week. I don't love the heat but at least our okra plants are still going great guns. They love the heat and they are taller than me now.

I just tell myself that someday not too far away, it will be Autumn here. Glorious, glorious Autumn. I'm looking forward to scarves and pretty leaves, but for now I'll try to enjoy the last of summer and the start of a new school year.
Cheers!

2 comments:

Tanya H said...

I concur. Back to school always means new {school} year resolutions! :) With both kids in school I don't feel like I have more time, but I do have more structure and routine to get a few more things done in.
Thank you for sharing that blog post! I really needed that! My primary class...needs extra love... :)

Predilections said...

Hooray for routines! I too am feeling a little more structure in my days lately and I am loving it. You are welcome about the blog post. I thought it was too amazing not to share. :)