Thursday, May 24, 2012

Cucumber, Tomato and Tuna Pasta Salad

Sometimes warm summer days just call for a light, fresh supper. This is so easy and delicious and it doesn't heat the kitchen up on those already hot days.

It was one of my favorite things to eat during the summer growing up and my family of little boys loves it as well. It's economical too (which is always a plus with the way my kids put away food around here) and during the summer I usually seem to have everything on hand that I need to throw this together.

1 pound elbow macaroni
1 package cherry tomatoes, quartered (you can use a regular tomato if you prefer that)
2 cucumbers, peeled, seeded and diced
2 cans tuna, well drained
1/2 cup real mayonnaise
1/2 cup Miracle Whip salad dressing (I was out of Miracle Whip so I substituted another half cup of mayo plus a scant 1/4 teaspoon each of onion powder, garlic powder and paprika--it was really good).
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
pepper to taste

Cook the pasta according to package directions, drain and rinse under cold water until cool to the touch. Meanwhile, chop the cucumbers and tomatoes. In a large bowl (it makes a lot) mix the tuna, chopped vegetables, pasta, mayonnaise and seasonings. Stir until well combined. Serve immediately or refrigerate until serving time.

I served it with cold watermelon, pickled okra (yep!) and freshly baked rolls as sides for Sunday dinner this past weekend.

I was going to eat the leftovers for lunch on Monday but someone had eaten the rest of it for a midnight snack the night before.

Do you have a favorite light summer supper? Share with me in the comments.

No comments: