Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Coconut Pound Cake

Update: This has become one of my most popular blog posts of all time--and with good reason. I've never had a failed attempt at this cake yet. It is so delicious and fairly easy to make--the hardest part is waiting for at least 24 hours to eat it. Enjoy!

As promised, I am posting the recipe for you.



I got this recipe from my beautiful sister who got it from her husband's aunt. It is awesome (if you like coconut, which I do. Love it actually).



Moist, rich, dense, delicious. I am a huge pound cake fan and this did not disappoint. (Be warned: if you do not like rich desserts this cake is not for you.) The flavor develops more if you are able to wait to eat it for a day or two before enjoying.



I made this cake Saturday. I had a piece for breakfast this morning (don't tell) and it was even more delicious than it was on Sunday.



The original recipe calls for pecans in the icing and although I really love pecans I opted for some toasted coconut flakes instead. My husband is a little sensitive to them and I had already put them in the other cake I made and I didn't want to leave him out of dessert options.

So, without further ado, Aunt Sarah's Coconut Pound Cake

For the cake:
1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
3 cups sugar
6 eggs
3 cups plain flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup coconut milk
1 (17 ounce*) can coconut in heavy syrup--this is also called Cream of Coconut (or Crema de Coco) and can be found in the international foods section of most grocery stores.  I bought Goya brand.

*It came in 15 oz. cans at our grocery store so I bought two cans and measured out the extra 2 oz. This probably isn't really necessary, but now I have most of a can of Crema de Coco in my fridge for making non-alcoholic pina coladas or coconut milkshakes. Mmmmm.

Grease and flour a bundt cake pan (I used a 10" tube pan). Set aside. Preheat your oven to 325 degrees. While the oven is heating, make your batter.
Cream together the butter, shortening and sugar. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add the salt, flavorings and coconut milk. Continue mixing stirring in one cup of flour at a time, occasionally scraping the sides of the bowl, until all the flour is incorporated. Now add the Cream of Coconut. Mix until well combined. Pour the batter into your prepared cake pan (this recipe makes a lot of batter so if you are using a smaller cake pan than I used, be careful not to overfill it) and bake in the preheated oven for one hour and thirty minutes or until a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean. Mine took exactly one hour and thirty minutes and the cake was beautiful, golden, perfectly done and not dried out at all.
 
For the icing:
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
2 cups powdered sugar
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1/4 teaspoon coconut extract
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 to 4 tablespoons coconut milk
1/2 finely chopped pecans (optional) OR
1/4 cup sweetened flake coconut, toasted (optional)


Icing: Mix the softened cream cheese with the sugar and extracts. Add coconut milk until this reaches a good consistency, to barely drip down the sides of the cake. I actually had to add a little more powdered sugar than what the recipe calls for. Stir in the nuts, if you are using them and pour/spread over the cooled cake. As I mentioned before, I omitted the nuts and instead sprinkled the coconut (which I had toasted in the oven under the broiler, watching it very carefully) over the top.  Pour/spread the icing over the cooled cake. You may want to do this on a rack with something beneath to catch the drips. 

Transfer your cake to a cake plate or serving plate and set aside for at least 24 hours. Trust me. It is worth the wait.

There you have it. I loved this cake so much that I think it may have to become a new Easter tradition at our house. 

 Do you like trying new things for the holidays or do you stick with tried and true recipes? I definitely have my holiday favorites but I love trying new things too. I have a bad habit of experimenting when company is coming--lucky for me my experiments usually turn out just fine.

Happy baking!

Today's poem: 
"Statement of Being" by Ezra Pound
I am a grave poetic hen
That lays poetic eggs
And to enhance my temperament
A little quiet begs.
We make the yolk philosophy,
True beauty the albumen.
And then gum on a shell of form
To make the screed sound human.

P.S. I'm linking up HERE.

13 comments:

Autumn Flynn said...

You read my mind! You mentioned that coconut pound cake in the last post and I was hoping you'd share the recipe! It sounds amazing. One thing . . . I've got a lot of diet restrictions (yes, cake certainly would be on the list but shhhh . . . don't tell) and use coconut oil in a lot of things. It is FABULOUS. You could replace the shortening with coconut oil, which is actually good for you! Anyway, you had me at coconut pound cake but then Ezra Pound??!!! (I have an English degree and I'm a major poetry/Lit nerd) Will you marry me? Please? Fabulous post!

Predilections said...

I love the coconut oil idea! Genius!
I have an English degree myself. Poetry makes me happy. I'm so glad to discover that I am in good company. Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to comment!
Cheers!

Laura said...

Mmmm, I just want to dive into it!

http://mrslauralynn.blogspot.co.uk/

Predilections said...

I found some of the leftover icing when cleaning our my fridge today. I think I'll eat it with some graham crackers. Yum! Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment! You have a cute blog. It looks like you have some great sewing ideas!

Mikelle Newman said...

Thank you for this yummy recipe! It is baking now and smells delicious. I can't wait to try it! :) Just wondering if you keep it stored in the fridge or at room temperature? Thanks so much!

Jill said...

I'm not a food safety expert but I let it sit at room temperature and I've never had any problems. Of course it is always safer to refrigerate things, but if you do decide to refrigerate it I'd let it come to room temperature before eating it. Some things just seem more flavorful at room temperature. I hope you love it as much as I do! :)

Unknown said...

Can't wait to make for my son-in-law.Confused on directions. It says to add cocout milk with flavorings.Then the flour, one cup at a time. Then the cream of coconut. Are we adding more than the one cup of coconut milk? What did I miss?
Thanks,
Gwen

Unknown said...

Can't wait to make for my son-in-law.Confused on directions. It says to add cocout milk with flavorings.Then the flour, one cup at a time. Then the cream of coconut. Are we adding more than the one cup of coconut milk? What did I miss?
Thanks,
Gwen

Jill said...

Gwen, there is coconut milk, coconut flavoring and vanilla and cream of coconut (cream of coconut is not the same as coconut milk) in the recipe. The formatting of the post makes it easy to overlook the cream of coconut at the end (a mistake that I will try to fix). So add the coconut milk, coconut flavoring and vanilla, then the flour, Then the cream of coconut. Does that make sense? Let me know if you have any other questions! I'd love to know what you think of it after you make it. Hope this helps!
Jill (Predilections)

Unknown said...

Thank you!I do understand the difference of coconut milk & cream of coconut.I see what you mean now. My son-in-law turns 40 on Friday & can't wait to surprise him!!!!

Unknown said...

Jill, here are the comments:"Best pound cake I ever put in my mouth!" "Had it for breakfast." Thank you for sharing this recipe. Making another one for Homecoming this week end.
Gwen

Colette (Coco) said...

Dream-come-true!

Unknown said...

Hi. Any chance i can use butter in place of the vegetable shortening?