Friday, November 13, 2015

Five Things I'm Loving This Friday

You need these things in your life.

1. The Great British Baking Show--After my brother Rob told me about this show I decided it sounded too delightful to miss and searched it out (we have to go up to the attic to get any TV channels here so I watched it on Netflix to start with and I can't get enough). Everything about it--the inviting baking tent with it's pastel baking stations and its union jack buntings, the polite and likable participants, the pleasant British accents and the amazing confections make for uplifting, enlightening and entertaining telly.



 The contestants encourage each other and help each other and it is so refreshing. This is far and away my favorite show at the moment. With so many unsavory program options these days, more people need to know about a show this sweet. This article that my friend Danielle shared yesterday nicely sums up just what's so great about The Great British Baking Show.


2. All things koselig (a Norwegian word roughly equivalent to coziness)--My sister-in-law, Maurianne posted an article on facebook about this philosophy. Laura Vanderkam, author of the article, "The Norwegian Secret to Enjoying a Long Winter" writes, "It's like the best parts of Christmas, without all the stress. People light candles, light fires, drink warm beverages, and sit under fuzzy blankets." 

Yesterday was so gray that I decided to try out the candle burning part of hygge. It definitely cozied things up.

The article reminded me of this article that I read on NPRs website a couple of years ago about hygge (the Danish word for a similar concept). I have a hard time with winter here in the frozen north (especially when the skies are gray day after day) so I'm going to try to cozy up and make loving winter my new philosophy. I feel like this could be life changing. If it works for people living in these countries that are some of the darkest places in the world during the winter months, maybe it can help me get through the lake effect snow and the long dark days of winter in upstate New York. Let's see what winter can bring to the table.

3. Pumpkin Nog--I feel it's too early for regular egg nog, but Pumpkin Nog tastes just like pumpkin pie in liquid form (minus any soggy crust which would be an inevitable result of liquidation) which is perfect for Thanksgiving season. I actually cut mine with some 2% because it is a little thick and that makes it stretch farther without really compromising the flavor too much.


4. Gordon Lightfoot--I've been listening to Gordon Lightfoot Radio on Pandora. This station features great, mellow, folksy music by artists like John Denver, Bob Dylan, Jim Croce, James Taylor, Simon and Garfunkel, Johnny Cash, Crosby, Stills & Nash, and of course, Gordon himself. I owe my brother, Carter a debt of gratitude for introducing me to Gordon. 
Photo credit: Peter Simon
Plus Mr. Lightfoot was quite handsome back in the day. I think he looked a little bit like Chris Pratt, don't you? 
Image via.
5. Homemade Thin Crust Pizza--I love this recipe that my friend Amy shared. For quick and easy homemade thin crust pizza it can't be beat. We're having it for dinner tonight. Some of our favorite toppings are garlic sauce (I just use olive oil and a little garlic salt) with spinach and bacon, good old pepperoni with traditional tomato pizza sauce, and olive oil instead of sauce with pears, Gorgonzola, toasted nuts and  arugula (you put the arugala on after it comes out of the oven). I know it sounds a little weird but it is so good. 

Other things I'm loving:
--Warm socks
--A cozy house on a blustery day
--Being able to sleep in this morning. I think I may be coming down with something. I needed the extra rest.


2 comments:

Elizabeth Hauswirth said...

Love this Blog! Especially today! That's the one thing I like about winter, it gives us a chance to get cozy. I have a ton of candles and I love this idea! Loved the British Cooking show too! Thanks for sharing today Jill! <3

Tanya said...

Ok, I need that station for sure. :) Lately I am almost exclusively listening to "my dad's music", giggle, and that includes all the singers you named.
I also really like the candle idea. I've been boiling apple cores and orange peel, along with a stick of cinnamon and four cloves for a little more than a week already...the citrus smell motivates me and the rest of it calms me. And we've only had snow fall one day and it didn't stick.....! I hope it turns out great for you!