Thursday, February 23, 2012

A Little Bit of Sunshine

Some people love it. Some people hate it. I belong to the first camp.

It's the color of daffodils and bananas, smiley faces, forsythia, sunshine, ears of ripe corn, lemons, the brick road to the Emerald City, butter, and the accent wall in my little boys' bedroom.
"I really just want to be warm yellow light that pours over everyone I love.~Conor Oberst
 I've been wanting to paint for awhile now. We're talking a couple of years. I've been holding back for one reason or another and I finally decided the time was now or never. So, I painted on Monday.

We've lived in this place for going on six years. I love color and even though we aren't supposed to paint the walls colors I decided one accent wall in yellow (Behr "Pismo Dunes", to be exact) wouldn't be too overwhelming to paint over when/if we ever move.
 Plus I was really tired of the marker/pencil/crayon scribbles and the grubby hand (and foot) prints on all the walls. It was dingy and depressing and I feel like the fresh paint has given the room a new lease on life.
 
 I wanted to do a gallery display on the large wall with some of the things that I've made/gathered for the little boys' room. I wanted it to be pretty simple. I know it's a little young--I don't have babies any more--but the boys don't seem to mind at all. I think they are enjoying the newness of it at the moment.
Free printable number flashcards from The Handmade Home
 I still have a few things I want to do with the room, but I work at these things on a very limited budget so I will have to slowly gather the finishing touches a bit at a time: maybe a patterned rug to help lighten the space (the carpet is so dark), some new bedding (I adore this fabric), a frame or two for my little boys to display their art work and this nightlight.
See? Look at the big blank space. Won't that be great for some frames for the boys' art?
I have other ideas too, like possibly painting this bookshelf or decoupaging maps onto it, but this is just the first room in a whole house that needs freshening up and I have plenty of other things to keep me busy at the moment. If I find myself getting bored, I can always come back to it later.

This is an interior room in our townhouse. It doesn't have any windows which is kind of a bummer usually (and which made it hard to photograph the colors accurately) but it also serves as our tornado shelter when there are storms in the area. I think the lack of natural light can tend to make it seem a little like a gloomy cave, but the yellow counteracts that nicely. It makes me happy to look at it.

Have you done any decorating projects lately? Leave me a link in the comments. I'd love to see pictures.

8 comments:

Danielle Nolan said...

I love, love, love the color yellow. I love the artwork. I love the bookshelf. I love the little rocking chair. :)

Jennifer Foster said...

My boys' room is yellow too! Such a happy, uplifting color, even when it's gray outside. Of course, their room is not decorated nearly so well...

Tanya Harvey said...

I love it!! I am hoping to paint my kids' rooms in April and want to do one in a soft yellow. I love the way you have the art on their walls and love the idea of their own art on their walls! (in a frame and not ruining the paint...!) :) The idea of covering the bookcase with maps is great too!

Misty said...

OoOOOOooo, I love the yellow. Perks the place right up. ;) Plus your other crafty bits are so cute.

Predilections said...

Thank you, dear!

Predilections said...

Thanks, Tanya! I am loving the yellow. Now we'll just see if I ever get around to all the other projects... :)

Predilections said...

Thanks, Jenn! I should have considered yellow during those Rochester winters. I don't know why it didn't occur to me before. ;)

Predilections said...

I knew I could count on you to appreciate the yellow. You do have impeccable taste, after all. ;D
S got the rocking chair the Christmas he was a year old. The fact that it is still intact after 12 years is nothing short of a miracle. :)